Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chain Flower Pillow Tah Dah! and Flower Tutorial and Leaf Tutorial



Hi everyone!  I hope this post finds you all well and in good health and spirits.  I finished a little project the other day.  I am here to do a big reveal after putting my hooks down for several months.  I picked them back up about a week ago to finish this pillow that I actually started months ago.  Here it is, Tah Dah!  I hope you like it.  I like the splash of color that this adds to my world.   The background I started a few months back and just measured it (The pillow is 16 x 16 inches).  and did a stitch that I made on my last big pillow which was just a double and a single crochet alternating them.  Then on the next row where there was a double crochet I made a single crochet, and where there was a single crochet, going back and forth to give it texture.  You can see the details of the stitch here



Here is the back side of the pillow.  I just made a simple scallop and it buttons in the back for easy removal of the cover so it can be washed.  


And here is a close up of some of the flowers.  I used some beads that resemble big crystals to give it some bling.  The back side of the glass buttons are painted with a silver reflective surface.  The tops are cut like diamonds and it gives just the hint of bling bling..  I thought it would be a fun little touch.  


I thought I would take a few moments to show you how to make a chain flower that I used on my garden chain mum flower pillow.  I had several friends on Facebook asked for a pattern.  I thought I would put one up with some photos to show everyone how to make one.  Let's have a go at it shall we?


Chain 4 stitches and join to make a ring with a slip stitch


Chain one and then single crochet 6 stitches into the ring and then finish with a slip stitch in the beginning chain stitch.


The next row, chain one and  single crochet 2 stitches in the back look only in each one of the 6 single crochet stitches to form 12 stitches total.  Slip stitch to form a ring.


Repeat the last row by chain one, and 2 stitches in each single crochet stitch to form 24 stitches total.  Then, slip stitch again to form a ring. 


Chain 14 stitches


In the next stitch, slip stitch the end of the chain and then chain 14 again.  Repeat all the way around  for a total of 24 times. 


Slip stitch in the beginning chain (your first chain stitch).


Then chain ten stitches. 


Slip stitch on the next row down in the front loop only to secure the end.  This will form the first petal of the inner row.  Do this all the way around. 


(Note:  I did not finish this off as this was a demo flower and did not want to cut my yarn) but once you get all the way around, finish with a slip stitch in the first beginning 10 chain and then cut leaving a tail.  Pull this through the back and weave in your end and secure it on the back side. 


You may add a button to finish it off.  Viola!  You should now have a flower made. As the flower sits over time the petals start to curl up and look less loopy.    Now see wasn't that easy? 


How to make a leaf.  

Chain 10 and then single crochet in the 2nd chain from the hook.  Then a half double crochet, then a double crochet, then a triple crochet, another triple crochet, and another triple crochet.  Then double crochet, and half double crochet, single crochet.  When you get to the last space with the single crochet, chain three and then work your way back in reverse.  When you get to the end, then tie off the two loose ends to secure the stitches.  Viola!  Now you have a leaf. 

I hope I made this easy for you to follow.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask me in the comments section so I can update this post or answer your questions there.  Happy crocheting everyone!

Till next time... xxxxxxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pillow! Thanks for the tutorial :) I think I need to make a couple of these for our couch!


    Mary
    sweetmaplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! The flowers go very quickly. I think the most time consuming part was sewing them on. I sewed them around the lip on the back side and the chain petals hide the stitching. That, and sewing on the buttons. But, it was a fun little project. If you have any questions let me know. Thanks again for your kind comments. I hope you have fun making them :)

      Delete

I love your feedback, and thank you for commenting.