Saturday, January 26, 2013

Crazy Patchwork, the final stretch...

Yesterday the sun came out for a bit.  It was such a welcome little thing in my world.  It gets so dark and damp here in the greater Seattle region.  I sat in the living room on the floor with my blanket that I am working on steam "blocking" it.  It really isn't properly blocked but it does help a lot.  I take a wet towel (the white bit in the photo) and place on the blanket on top of towels on the floor, and smooth out the blanket in sections the best I can and hit it with an iron for about 2-3 seconds at a time and then pick up the iron and move over and keep going.  I do not actually "iron" as I don't want to flatten the stitches.  As you can see in the photo, I had just begun and where it is all smooth, that is where I had already steamed it.  This will help the blanket remain flat and nice for all it's life.  With a blanket squared together with so many sizes, you can see how it can be a bit wobbly and wrinkly.  That seems to be a common complaint reading other blogs and fiber communities when I have seen others make the Babette blanket.



Last night and this morning I already started the border.  I can't wait until I get this done.  I feel so impatient every time I get to doing the border.  I can feel the finish line on the horizon, it is so close, yet so far!  I should have the border on this to complete the blanket and make it look nice within the week.  Once I do, I will do a big reveal of it and also describe how I assembled this whole thing free form.  There was absolutely no planning and it was kind of random.  I can't wait to show it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback, and thank you for commenting.