This is the pattern for an African Flower
Here the blanket rests on the back of the couch. I made it wide enough to rest across the back of the couch and long enough to cover my toes. We are a tall family so it is 8x12 motifs wide and long. But, with the way the motifs fit with a half motif extra on each side, it really is 9x12 and then I filled in on the sides by making a 1/2 motif to straightened up the sides. The final measurements with the border is 65x80 inches.
I found a tutorial on how to make the 1/2 motif here. However, it came out kind of large and was not working out for me. So, I fiddled with it until I could come up with something a little "tighter" and didn't make the edges so ripply and large. Maybe you will have better luck with it than I did. The version I came up with had a few less stitches in it and fit in my blanket a little better. The pattern might be just fine and it could have been just the way I stitch. Anyway, give it a try and see if it works for you. If not, and I get enough people asking I will have to make a tutorial on what I did.
Here is a close up of the border. I kept it simple and didn't go too large as I tend to have issues with expanding blankets when I make them until they are larger than I intended on making them. I also figured with the blanket being so busy, that a simple border would be best. I just picked the green because it is a dark color I wanted to use up and then finally the gold and blue to make it pop some. It is made by double crocheting all around it then the final scallop is 2 dc 1 chain 2 dc in a space and then skipping 3 stitches. On the ends where it is rippled I made sure to have a scallop on the tips around the corner and then skipped 4 stitches in the ditch to keep the shape nicely. On the previous rows with the double crochet, I would decrease 2 stitches in the ditch by joining those two together, and at the points/corners I would make a 1dc, chain 1, 1 dc in the same space. (just think about making a chevron blanket and how you do the rows) then on the sides I just did a dc in each space all the way down the blanket.
And finally here are a few shots of just pure color. It is all made from Red Heart Super Saver Solids. It is all sort of random with the color combinations. One thing I did do, was try to use at least one shade of the many blues I have on each one. Not every single motif has the blue, but most of them do. I thought that would help pull together so many colors a little bit. You don't really notice it unless you look for it, but it tricks the eye into thinking so many colors go together.
And finally... The entire blanket in a shot. Excuse the messy deck with the wet leaves, but here in the NW it remains pretty dark here in the winter and it is hard to get a good shot unless I take the blanket outdoors in the natural light.
I must say that I do like the project now that it is complete. All the colors makes for a cheerful blanket and it really does remind me of the "Roseanne Blanket" in many ways but with a modern twist. Since we seldom sit out on the couch, I am sure the kitty cats will be resting up on the back of the couch and using it more than we will... but it is there just in case we want to lay down and snuggle up with one of those kitty cats.
I am already planning a ripple blanket for my next blanket to make, and with some lighter colors. I want something fresh and fun for spring. Until next time... xxxxxxxxxxxxx